It is a popular snack where lentil dumplings are dunked in a creamy whipped yogurt topped with spicy and sweet chutneys. Fluffy, golden-coloured vadas might taste good as such, but they taste even better when made into tongue-tickling Dahi Vadas. Enjoy dahi vada.
- Preparation time : 20 mts
- Cooking time :Â 30 mts
- Serves : 2 people
- 1 1/2 cup split Urad Dal
- 1" piece of Ginger
- 4 Green Chillies
- 1/4 cup finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- Oil for deep frying
- 3 cups fresh yogurt
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Ginger Juice
- Red Chilli powder
- Chat Masala for garnish
- First wash and soak urad dal in enough water for 6 hours.
- After 6 hours drain off all excess water from dal and put that in to blender.
- Add green chillies, ginger, cumin seeds in the dal.
- Blend everything together till you get smooth paste.
- Add coriander leaves and salt in to batter and mix well.
- Heat up oil for deep frying over medium to high heat.
- Take a ice cream scoop and scoop out lemon size vada batter and drop that in to hot oil.
- Drop 4 to 5 vadas at a time and deep fry till it gets even deep golden color.
- Give vada a flip periodically.
- After vada gets good golden color, drain off all excess oil from vada and put that in to paper towel.
- Repeat the same process with the rest of the batter.
- Now soak the vada in lukewarm water for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now take yogurt in to bowl, add some milk in to yogurt,, add salt, sugar, ginger juice and beat yogurt very well with the whisk.
- Now take all soaked vada, hold one vada and gently squeez out all excess water from vada.
- Put that vada in to prepared yogurt.
- Repeat the same thing with all the vadas.
- Now place dahi vada in to fridege to allow it too chill.
- Garnish with chat masala and red chilli powder!