Undhiyu is a popular, traditional Gujrathi recipe. It requires lot of patience while making undhiyu as it requires lot many ingredients. Though a little time consuming, it’s worth a try as end result is just awesome. Generally undhiyu is made is winter as most required veggies are available in this season. Do try it and drop a comment for me.
- 1 cup Finely chopped Coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup Fresh shredded Coconut
- 1/2 cup Roasted peanut powder
- 3 tsp White sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp Cashew nuts
- 1 tbsp Kishmish / Raisins
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- Finely chopped Green chili
- Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Green chili paste
- 1 tsp Garlic paste
- 1 tsp Ginger paste
- 1 tbsp Red chili powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp Hing / Asafetida
- 1 tbsp Garam masala
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 cup Wal papdi
- 125 gm Suran
- 1 Sweet potato
- 1 Potato
- 3 Bringles
- 1 Banana
- Methi Muthiya
- 1/4 tsp Ajwain / Carom seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- A pinch of Hing / Asafetida
- In bowl take coconut, roasted peanut powder, sesame seeds, coriander powder, garlic paste, ginger paste, green chili paste, cashew nuts, raisins, salt, coriander leaves, sugar, red chili powder, garam masala, cumin seeds, turmeric powder, hing, green chili, lemon juice and oil.
- You can use dry grated coconut instead fresh coconut.
- Mix everything well together.
- You can mix it with your hands. Masala is already.
- Remove the veins of the wal papdi and cut it into small pieces.
- Put these in a cooker pot and add a little water.
- Add water at the base of cooker and put the pot with wal papdi in it.
- Cut the bringles as we cut for bharali vangi.
- Give 2 slits but do not cut the bringles through.
- Stuff the masala in bringles and put these in another pot. Add a little water.
- You also can chop and fry the bringles along with all other veggies instead of stuffing.
- You also can fry the stuffed bringles in oil a little and the cook in the cooker.
- Put the pot in cooker above the wal papdi pot.
- Close the lid and cook on medium heat until 2 whistles.
- This speeds up the process.
- Peel the sweet potato and cut it into big chunks.
- Peel the potato and cut it into big chunks.
- Peel suran and cut it into big chunks.
- Heat up oil on medium heat.
- Drop sweet potato into hot oil and fry until it gets nice golden color from all sides.
- Take it out into a dish.
- Drop potato in hot oil and fry until it gets nice golden color from all sides.
- Take the potato out into a dish.
- Drop suran in hot oil and fry until it gets nice golden color from all sides.
- Take suran out into a dish.
- Heat up oil in a pan.
- When oil is enough hot add ajwain, cumin seeds, hing and the masala.
- Fry for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add cooked wal papdi, fried sweet potato, suran, potato and mix well.
- Add a little water and stir well.
- Add methi muhtiya, cooked bringles and mix well.
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Chop the banana along with its skin and add it to the sabzi. Mix well.
- Cook on medium heat for about 7-8 minutes and turn off the gas.
- Garnish with coriander and undhiyu is already.
- Undhiyu goes well with puri or plain paratha.