Oly kajuchi bhaji is a traditional Konkani Maharashtrian recipe. As kaju or cashews are available in summer, this can be a summer special recipe too. Peelinh kaju is a tricky and tedious process. We will make it easier. This is a delicious and yummy recipe. Let’s make oly kajuchi usal.
- 250 gm Cashew nuts
- 1 tsp Oil
- 2 medium Onion sliced
- 3~4 Garlic cloves
- 1/2” Ginger chopped
- 2 tbsp Fresh coconut
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Malvani masala
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 cup Hot water
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves
- Take cashew in microwave safe bowl and add water in it.
- Microwave the bowl for 30 seconds or 1 minute. Water should be hot.
- Timing of microwaving depends upon thickness of bowl and quantity of cashew nuts.
- Microwaving helps in peeling the cashews easily.
- Peel off all the cashew nuts and keep aside.
- Heat up oil in a pan. Add onion and fry on medium heat for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger. Fry for another 5-6 minutes.
- When onion begins to turn golden, add blended fresh coconut and fry for another 3-4 minutes.
- When coconut and onion get even golden colour, turn off the gas and let it cool down a little.
- When the mixture is cooled down, transfer it into blender pot and blend into coarse paste.
- You can add a little water if required when blending. Masala is ready for kajuchi bhaji.
- Heat up oil in a pan. Add Malvani masala into oil and fry for a minute.
- Add peeled kaju and mix well with masala. Add water.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for about 7-8 minutes until kaju are cooked well.
- Kaju must be cooked well.
- Add blended masala and mix well again.
- Fry the mixture for about 2 minutes and add hot water.
- Add salt to taste and mix well. Cover and cook on medium heat for about 7-8 minutes.
- Turn off the gas and kajuchi bhaji is already. Add coriander leaves for garnishing.
- Kajuchi usal goes well with ghavane or tandalache bhakari.
- You can have it with plain boiled rice too.
- If you don’t want to microwave, boil water and add kaju in it. This also will help in peeling kaju easily.
- If you don’t have Malvani masala, then you can add garam masala, coriander powder and red chili powder instead of it.
- Always add hot water in hot gravy. If you add cold water in hot gravy, it decreases the gravy’s temperature and the sabzi takes time to cook. It doesn’t get nice tarri too.