Dum aloo is a popular north Indian recipe. Baby potatoes are dipped in spicy and delicious gravy. This being easy to prepare and made from few spices is most prepared dish. Do try this simple recipe at home and drop a comment for me. Do not forget to like, share and subscribe.
- 12 Baby potatoes
- 1/2 cup Curd / Yogurt
- 1” Ginger juliennes
- 1/2 tsp Ginger powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 2 tsp Kashimiri red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp Hing / Asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- Mustard oil
- Take potatoes and wash these well.
- In a cooker add about 1” water at the base and drop potatoes in it.
- Cook potatoes on medium heat until 2 whistles. Do not overcook these.
- In a bowl take curd and whip it really good. No lumps of curd should be left in it.
- When the curd becomes fluffy and creamy, add 2 tsp red chili powder, 1 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp Coriander powder and 1/2 tsp ginger powder.
- Mix well and keep the gravy mixture aside.
- Take hing in a bowl and add water. Mix well and keep aside.
- Peel the potatoes and prick these with a fork or toothpick.
- In a pan, heat up mustard oil and drop potatoes in it.
- You can use any other oil instead of mustard oil.
- You can deep fry the potatoes if you want.
- After cooking for about 8-10 minutes flip these over and fry from other side as well for about 8-10 minutes.
- When potatoes get nice color from all sides take these out into dish.
- In the same oil add the curd mixture and mix well.
- Though you may feel the curd is spoilt immediately after adding in tadka, it will thicken up as you cook it.
- Cook the gravy for about 5-7 minutes.
- When oil begins to float on the gravy add ginger juliennes, asafoetida water, 1 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp coriander powder, 2 tsp red chili powder, 1/2 tsp ginger powder and salt.
- Mix well and cook for about 7-8 minutes more.
- When spices begin to release oil, add water and mix well.
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes more.
- Add potatoes and mix well.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for about 6-7 minutes.
- Remove the lid and mix once more.
- Once more cover and cook on lowest possible temperature for about 8-10 minutes.
- Turn off the gas and dum aloo is already.
- You can serve dum aloo with naan, roti or paratha.
- When we make separate hing water, it gives fantastic flavour.
- You can use deghi mirchi powder instead of kashimiri red chili powder.
- Though you think we are adding more spices but the flavour of spices gets diluted due to curd.
- If you can’t reduce the temperature on lowest, then put a skillet on the gas and place the cooking pan on it. Then cook on dum for about 8-10 minutes.