Dal khichadi is simple and easy recipe. This can be a wholesome and one dish meal. You can serve this just with lots ghee, pickle and papad. Do try this at home and drop a comment for me. Do not forget to like, comment and subscribe.
- 1/2 cup Rice
- 3 tbsp Tur dal
- 1/4 tsp Hing / Asafetida
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 3 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 Big finely chopped Onion
- 1 Finely chopped Tomato
- 1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1~2 Chopped Green chillies
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 8~10 Curry leaves
- 1~2 Dried Red chili
- In cooker take dal and rice.
- Wash it with water really good 2-3 times.
- Add hing, turmeric powder and salt to taste.
- Add water and mix well.
- Close the lid and cook on medium heat until 3-4 whistles.
- Heat up oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds and let them pop up.
- Add onion and fry until it turns nice golden.
- Add tomato, ginger garlic paste, red chili powder, coriander powder, green chillies and salt to taste.
- Be careful while adding salt as we already have added salt while cooking the dal and rice.
- Fry for about 4-5 minutes until tomato is cooked and is mashed well with onion.
- Take the cooked khichadi and mash it really good.
- Add water to adjust the consistency and mash again.
- When tomato is cooked add the mashed khichadi in the tadka.
- Mix well and cook on medium heat for about 4-5 minutes.
- Heat up ghee and add cumin seeds.
- When cumin seeds splutter, add curry leaves and dried red chillies.
- Mix well and add tadka on dal khichadi.
- Adding ghee tadka is optional. You can skip it.
- Dal khichadi is already.
- You can serve this dal khichadi with lots of ghee, mango pickle and papad.
- Try to use broken rice or tukda rice for making khichadi. Due to broken rice khichadi becomes nice and soft.
- You can add moong dal or combination tur dal and moong dal instead of tur dal.
- Add water three times to the quantity of dal and rice.