Chitranna is a type of fried rice mostly prepared in South part of India. Its a plane boiled rice seasoned up with wholesome, aromatic spices and garnish with crunchy, fried peanuts. Its a quick and tasty way to finish leftover rice and makes a perfect breakfast!
Preparation time : 10 mts
Cooking time : 20 mts
Serves : 2 people
- 3 cups plain boiled rice
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- pinch of Hing
- 2 tbsp Raw Peanuts
- 1 tbsp sliced dry Coconut
- 1 tbsp Daliya
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 6 to 7 Curry Leaves
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- Heat up oil, to that add raw peanuts and fry peanuts until it gets light brown color.
- Once peanuts are fried, drain excess oil from it and remove in to other bowl.
- In the same oil add sliced coconut and fry coconut too until it gets light brown color.
- Once coconut is done, also drain excess oil from it and take it out in to separate bowl.
- In the same oil add mustard seeds, let it crackle.
- Next add cumin seeds, after cumin seeds sizzle, next put in hing.
- Add chopped garlic and cook it for about a minute.
- After 1 minutes add daliya and cook until daliya gets light brown color.
- Add curry leaves, mix and lower the heat at this point of time.
- Add turmeric powder, garam masala, coriander powder, red chilli powder, mix well and cook for just about a minute.
- Add boiled rice and mix well with masala.
- Add salt to taste, lemon juice, coriander leaves and mix well.
- Garnish with fried peanuts and coconut right before serving the rice.
- Serve hot with yogurt ot Raita!