Veg Kolhapuri is a spicy mix vegetable preparation. This is very popular dish from Kolhapur city which is situated in the South-west corner of Maharashtra. This is prepared in thick spicy gravy with loads of vegetables!
Preparation time - 30 mts
Cooking time - 30 mts
Serves - 6 people
For Kolhapuri Masala -
- 4 tsp grated dry coconut,
- 5 Cloves, 5 Black Pepper,
- 1"Cinnamon stick,
- 2 tsp Sesame seeds,
- 4 Cashew nuts
- 1 1/2 Big Onion finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup Cauliflower Florets
- 1 Potato chopped in small cubes
- 1/2 cup Carrot cut in to thick slices
- 1/2 cup Green Pepper cut in to small cubes
- 1/2 cup Green Peas
- 1/2 cup paneer cut in small cubes
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic paste
- Oil 4 tsp
- Water 1 cup
- To make Kolhapuri masala - Heat pan on a medium high and dry roast whole garam masala, coconut and sesame seeds till coconut gets nice golden color and nice aroma from spices starts to come out.
- Add kolhapuri masala in a blender, add cashew nuts and water and grind to form a smooth paste.
- Heat 4 tsp oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and finely chopped onion and saute till onion gets light brown color.
- Add ginger garlic paste and cook till raw smell from ginger garlic goes away.
- Add coriander powder and roasted cumin powder, mix and cook for 2 mts.
- Add chopped tomatoes, mix, add 1/4 cup of water, cover and cook for 5 mts.
- Add ground paste of Kolhapuri masala, mix and cook for 2 mts.
- Add red chilli powder and degi mirch powder, mix and cook till oil separates from the spices.
- Add garam masala, add potatoes, add 1/4 cup of water, mix, cover and cook for 15 mts.
- Add Cauliflower and cook for 5 mts. Keep on adding small amount of water if you find mixture is getting very dry.
- Add carrot and green pepper and cook for 7 to 8 mts.
- Add paneer and green peas, cover and cook for 5 mts.
- Finally top it with butter for richer taste.