Veg Kolhapuri is a spicy mix vegetable preparation. This is very popular dish from Kolhapur city which is situated in the South-west corner of Maharashtra. This is prepared in thick spicy gravy with loads of vegetables!
Preparation time - 30 mts
Cooking time - 30 mts
Serves - 6 people
For Kolhapuri Masala -
- 4 tsp grated dry coconut,
- 5 Cloves, 5 Black Pepper,
- 1"Cinnamon stick,
- 2 tsp Sesame seeds,
- 4 Cashew nuts
- 1 1/2 Big Onion finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup Cauliflower Florets
- 1 Potato chopped in small cubes
- 1/2 cup Carrot cut in to thick slices
- 1/2 cup Green Pepper cut in to small cubes
- 1/2 cup Green Peas
- 1/2 cup paneer cut in small cubes
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic paste
- Oil 4 tsp
- Water 1 cup
- To make Kolhapuri masala - Heat pan on a medium high and dry roast whole garam masala, coconut and sesame seeds till coconut gets nice golden color and nice aroma from spices starts to come out.
- Add kolhapuri masala in a blender, add cashew nuts and water and grind to form a smooth paste.
- Heat 4 tsp oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and finely chopped onion and saute till onion gets light brown color.
- Add ginger garlic paste and cook till raw smell from ginger garlic goes away.
- Add coriander powder and roasted cumin powder, mix and cook for 2 mts.
- Add chopped tomatoes, mix, add 1/4 cup of water, cover and cook for 5 mts.
- Add ground paste of Kolhapuri masala, mix and cook for 2 mts.
- Add red chilli powder and degi mirch powder, mix and cook till oil separates from the spices.
- Add garam masala, add potatoes, add 1/4 cup of water, mix, cover and cook for 15 mts.
- Add Cauliflower and cook for 5 mts. Keep on adding small amount of water if you find mixture is getting very dry.
- Add carrot and green pepper and cook for 7 to 8 mts.
- Add paneer and green peas, cover and cook for 5 mts.
- Finally top it with butter for richer taste.
Leave Your Comment And Suggestion Here
25 February 2015
16 December 2014
how to make indian red gravy
hello mathura ji..... this recipe is so nice... i tried this......thanks..... :
15 September 2014
25 March 2014
Turned out very nice. The recipe was given simply, not complicated. Thank you very much,
22 July 2013
Hi Madhura, Seasame seeds are must for this recipe or can i skip as i don't have that.
29 June 2013
I like this recipe. Can you please send me the recipe for Egg Biriyani. Regards