Balushahi is a popular Indian sweet. You can get balushahi in almost every sweet shop. These are flaky outside and soft, melt in mouth inside. This is a perfect festive time sweet. Do try it at home and you can drop a comment for me. Do not forget to like, share and subscribe.
- 2 cups Maida / All purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Ghee
- 1/4 cup Dahi / Yogurt
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup Water
- 10~12 Saffron strands
- 1 cup Sugar
- Cardamom powder
- Oil for frying
- Dry fruits
- Take maida into a bowl and add baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
- Sieve the mixture once.
- Make a small well in maida and add ghee and yogurt in it.
- Mix everything well together.
- Add water and mix well.
- Do not knead dough for this recipe. Just mix well with water. Do not make soft dough.
- Coat the dough with a little ghee so that it won’t get dry.
- Cover and give it a resting time of at least an hour.
- In a sauce pan take water and add saffron strands and sugar.
- Mix well and bring it to boil.
- Dissolve the sugar completely and bring it to boil.
- Lower down the heat to medium and simmer the syrup for another 5-6 minutes.
- Do not look for any thread consistency. Just make sure the syrup is sticky like sugar syrup for gulab jamun.
- Add cardamom powder and mix well.
- Take the dough and make small balls from it.
- Roll them and pinch in the center.
- Heat up the oil. Make sure that the oil should not be too hot.
- Deep fry the balushahi on very low heat for about 10-15 minutes. So that balushahi get fried inside out.
- When balushahi get fried, these will puff up and float on the oil.
- This is the perfect temperature for frying balishahi.
- Fry these on low to medium heat on low to medium heat for about 8-10 minutes.
- After frying balushahi for about 4-5 minutes, flip them over and fry from other side as well.
- When balushahi get deep golden colour from both sides after frying for about 10 minutes take these out.
- Drop the fried balushahi into hot sugar syrup.
- Press them down so that balushahi soak sugar syrup.
- Let them soak in sugar syrup for about 5 minutes.
- Balushahi is already. Garnish balushahi with dryfruits.
- You cannot replace maida with wheat for this recipe.
- From 2 cups maida you can make 15-16 balushahis.