Upma is a popular south Indian breakfast recipe. We are making it healthier by adding veggies in it as the name suggests. It is an all time favourite snack because of its convenience in making and it tastes just awesome. Do try this upma at home and write me back. Do not forget to like, share and subscribe.
- 1/2 tsp Ghee
- 1/2 cup Sooji / Semolina
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Raw peanuts
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp Hing
- Curry leaves
- Finely chopped Green chillies
- 1/2 cup Finely chopped Onion
- 2 tsp Chopped Green beans
- 2 tbsp Sliced Green pepper
- 2 tbsp Sliced Yellow pepper
- 2 tbsp Sliced Red pepper
- 3/4 cup Hot Water
- Salt to taste
- Finely chopped Coriander leaves
- Heat up a pan on medium heat.
- Add ghee and sooji.
- Mix well and roast sooji on medium heat for about 4-5 minutes. No not roast longer.
- Keep the pan aside.
- Heat up oil in a pan.
- Add raw peanuts and fry these change their color.
- When peanuts turn light brown, take these out into a dish.
- In the same oil add mustard seeds and let them pop up.
- Add cumin seeds and let them sizzle up.
- Add hing, curry leaves, green chili, onion and green beans.
- Mix well and cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- When onion turns soft, add green, yellow and red pepper.
- You can use carrot, green peas instead if bell peppers. You can use veggies of your choice.
- Mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes more.
- Add roasted sooji and mix well.
- Add hot water and mix well.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Cover and cook on low to medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and upma is already.
- The umpa is nice and soft but not sticky.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and fried peanuts.
- Ghee gives nice flavour and texture to upma.
- If you roast sooji longer its taste changes and gets a slightly bitter taste.
- Sooji has got a little coarse texture. If you use non stick pan it may damage the coating while roasting sooji. To avoid that, use stainless steel pan or iron kadhai while roasting sooji.
- If you add cold water in hot sooji, upma will be sticky. It will not be nice and fluffy. To avoid that always add hot water to hot sooji.
- If you want upma to be little bit more soft then add a little more water.