Bored of having same simple idly? Here is a simple variation to your regular idly.... Stuffed Idly. This is made by stuffing potato stuffing in our regular idlies. These can be good snack option. This is simply yummy and easy to make. Let’s see how to make stuffed idlies.
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- A pinch of Asafetida
- Finely chopped Onion
- 5~6 Curry leaves
- Finely chopped Green chillies
- Turmeric powder
- 1 medium size boiled, peeled and chopped Potato
- Salt to taste
- Finely chopped Coriander leaves
For Making Idlies:
- Idly batter
- Heat up oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and let them sizzle up.
- Add cumin seeds and let them pop up.
- Add asafetida, finely chopped onion, curry leaves and mix well.
- Add green chillies and stir well.
- Fry the onion for just about 4-5 minutes. Cook the onion until it turns nice and soft. Add turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add boiled potato, salt and mix well. Mash potato well with masala. Add coriander leaves and stir well.
- Turn off the gas and stuffing is already.
- Transfer the stuffing into a dish and remove the curry leaves.
- Take some stuffing and make small ball of it of just a bit smaller than lemon and flatten it.
- Make potato patties like this from all the stuffing.
- Take idly cooker and add 1” water to it. Turn on the heat and bring it to boil.
- Take idly mould and grease it with some oil.
- If you don’t have idly mould, you can use and steel bowl/katori or microwave safe glass bowl to make idlies.
- Pour out a little idly batter into each mould. Fill the mould up to half of its capacity.
- Put patty in each mould in the middle of the batter and press it a little.
- Add some more idly batter and cover the patty with it.
- When all the moulds are filled with batter, stack them on each other.
- Transfer the mould into idly cooker.
- Steam the idlies on medium high heat for about 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, turn off the gas and let the mould be in the cooker for 10 more minutes.
- After 10 minutes, take idlies out of the cooker and let them cool down for about 8-10 minutes.
- Take the idlies out with the help of spoon.
- You can serve these idlies as it is.
- You can also have these with sambar and chutney.