French fries is an all time favorite snack. This is very easy and simple recipe. These are crisp from outside and soft inside. These are simply delicious and a perfect munching snack. You can make these ahead of time and store in freeze. Take out and deep fry whenever require. Let’s learn to make French fries.
- 4 cups Water
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 small piece of Alum
- 2 large Potatoes
- Oil for frying
- Heat up water in a pot. Add salt and alum.
- Take potatoes, wash and peel them. Cut the potatoes lengthwise.
- Make thick slices and then cut into long strips. Add the strips into hot water.
- Cook the sticks on medium high heat for just about 4-5 minutes. Do not cook potatoes completely. Cook only 50%.
- Turn off the gas and take the potato sticks out of water.
- Transfer these into a strainer. Let these cool down completely.
- Transfer the potato sticks into a zip lock bag, close the bag and freeze it for at least 4-5 hours.
- Take the bag out of freeze and let it come to room temperature for about 5-10 minutes.
- Heat up oil in a pan. Drop the potato stick from zip lock bag straight into hot oil.
- Fry until these turn light golden for about 3-4 minutes.
- Take out of oil and sprinkle some salt on them immediately and toss them.
- Alum helps to retain the shape and crunch of potatoes. When you drop potatoes in hot water, they don’t lose their shape due to alum.