Idli is one of the most most popular south Indian recipe all over the country. Extremely scrumptious, light, fluffy and nutritious, Idly is an ideal Breakfast dish. Made of rice and Urad Daal, making Idly is not difficult at all, though its preparation takes a little time as the batter for Idly requires fermentation, but its end result is all worth to try it.Â As it is a steamed food with minimum oil and no spices, it very healthy food for all.
Preparation time : 30 mts (plus 8 hours soaking and 14 hours fermentation time)
Cooking time : 30 mts
Serves : 4 people
- 2 cups rice
- 1 cup Urad Dal
- 1 cup Poha
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp oil
- Sugar to taste
- 1 tsp Methi Seeds
- Wash and soak rice in enough water for 8 hours.
- Wash urad dal and soak along with methi seeds for 8 hours.
- Wash poha and soak in water for just 5 mts.
- Now combine poha, rice, urad dal and methi seeds together and grind coarsely.
- Store idly batter in any steel pot, cover and leave it to ferment overnight or till the batter rises to almost doubles in size.
- Add salt, oil in to fermented idly batter, mix gently.
- Grease idly trays with oil, pour a big tbsp of idly batter, place idly tray in idly container with enough water and steam for 15 to 20 mts.
- Take out idly trays and leave it to rest for 5 mts.
- Serve idlis hot with sambhar, coconut chutney!