Imagine Dahi Vada without oil or next to no oil variant... Sounds healthy right? Well here's my version of no oil preparation, of all time favourite Dahi Vada!
- 1 cup Split Urad dal
- Chopped green chili (Optional)
- Chopped Ginger (Optional)
- Salt to taste
- Finely chopped Coriander leaves
- 250 gm or around 1 1/2 cup Yogurt
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- Tamarind sweet and sour chutny
- Green chutney
- Red chili powder
- Chat masala
- Take urad dal and wash it really good under running water.
- Soak it in enough water over night. Remove excess water.
- Take half of soaked urad dal into blender pot. Add a piece of green chili and ginger.
- Green chili and ginger are optional. You can skip these if you don’t want.
- Blend the dal into a smooth puree. You can add a little water while grinding if required.
- It should have nice and smooth consistency. Take it out into a bowl.
- Blend the urad dal in the same way.
- Add salt to taste and coriander leaves.
- Whip the mixture for about 4-5 minutes with a spoon until the mixture becomes nice and fluffy.
- Cover and give the mixture standing time of at least 30 minutes.
- Take yogurt into a bowl. Add salt, sugar and beat until yogurt gets nice and smooth consistency for about 4-5 minutes.
- You can add a little water or milk to adjust the consistency.
- Heat up appam patra over medium to high heat. Add some oil in each mould of appam patra.
- Add a spoonful of vada mixture into each mould. Cook on medium high heat for about 4-5 minutes.
- You can add some oil on sides of vada.
- After cooking for 5 minutes, loosen up the sides of vada with the help of knife and flip over.
- After about 3-4 minutes take out vadas into a dish.
- Let the vadas cool down completely.
- Take some cold water into a bowl and drop these vadas in this water.
- Soak the vadas for about a minute.
- Take the vadas out of water and squeeze out all the excess water from vadas and keep them aside.
- Take vada into a bowl and add lots of beaten yogurt.
- Add tamarind sweet and sour chutney, green chutney, red chili powder, chat masala and coriander leaves.
- Dahi vada is all ready.