A spicy and very very tasty,a very Maharashtrian Mutton curry preparation. You will find this cooking very often of weekends in non-veggie marathi houses. It tastes even better as it gets older.
Preparation time : 25 mts
Cooking time : 20 mts
Serves : 4 people
- Goat meat / Mutton - 2 lb
- 1 big Onion thinly sliced
- 6 tsp Oil
- 2 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 2 tsp Sesame seeds
- Whole Garam Masala
- 2 tsp Garlic chopped
- 1 big Tomato pureed
- 1 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 2 tsp Degi mirch powder
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 small Onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry grated Coconut
How to Boil Mutton?
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add chopped onion and saute till it becomes translucent. Then add ginger garlic paste and turmeric powder and cook till raw smell from ginger garlic goes away. Now add mutton pieces, mix well, add water, salt, mix, cover and cook until 6 to 7 whistles.
How to make mutton masala?
- Dry roast grated coconut till it gets nice brown color.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in the same pan, add chopped garlic and cook till it gets brown color, keep garlic aside of the pan.
- Add whole garam masla and cook till nice aroma starts to come out from the masala, again keep is aside of the pan.,
- Add sesameÂ and fennel seeds and cook till it gets nice golden color.
- Add sliced onion, mix all ingredients well and cook till onion gets brown color.
- Now grind roasted coconut and fried onion in a blender. Add water if required.
- Chop 1 big size tomato in to quarters and blend to make smooth puree.
- Heat oil in a pan, add ground onion paste and cook for 2 mts.
- Add coriander powder, cumin powder and cook for 2 mts.
- Add tomato puree, red chilli powder, degi mirch powder, mix and cook till oil separates from the spices.
- Add boiled mutton and its stock, salt, mix, cover and cook for 10 mts.
- Cook mutton as using your own judgement.
- Substitute Mutton by using Lamb. Can prepare masala in advance, masala stays good for 4 to 5 days in fridge and 1 month if kept frozen.