Malvani chicken or Sagoti is very popular coastal region recipe in Maharashtra. It's prepared using lots of fresh coconut which is easily available in Konkan area. Must try recipe!!!
Preparation time : 15 mins
Cooking time : 45 mins
Serves : 4
ingredients for Marination
- 3 cloves of Garlic
- 1" piece of Ginger
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1/4 cup Coriander Leaves
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 1 lb Boneless Chicken
- 3/4 cup frozen / fresh Coconut
- Dash of Nutmeg powder
Ingredients for Malvani Masala
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Shahi Jeera
- Whole Spices -
- 2 Bay Leafs, Star anise,
- Cinnamon Stick, 3 Cloves,
- 3 Black Pepper corns, 1 Javitri
- 1 Big Onion sliced
Ingredients for Malvani Curry
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 1/2 tsp Degi Mirch powder
- Grind garlic, green chilli, ginger, lemon juice, coriander leaves and salt together in to blender.
- Apply this green chutney over chicken pieces really well.
- Marinate this for 1 hour.
- Heat up 1 tsp oil, to that add shahi jeera, whole spices and cook for a minute.
- Add sliced onion and cook till onion gets light brown color.
- Add frozen coconut and continue cooking till coconut gets light brown color.
- Add a dash of nutmeg, mix and wait till it becomes cool.
- Once masala cools down, blend to make a smooth puree.
- Heat up oil, add chopped onion and cook till it gets light golden color.
- Add ginger garlic paste and cook for a minute.
- Add coriander powder, garam masala, red chilli powder and cook for 2 mts.
- Add marinated chicken pieces, mix well, add water, salt, cover and cook till chicken gets cooked.
- Add ground onion, coconut masala, mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with Malvani vade or Rice flour bhakri.