Butter chicken which is also knows as Murgh Makhani is boneless pieces of chicken cooked in butter with tomato sauce which is a favorite specialty all over India. Check this out easy, tasty recipe and everyone' s all time favorite dish
Preparation time :
Cooking time :
- 4 Tomatoes
- 1 lb Chicken Breast
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 tbsp Red Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 2 tbsp thick Yogurt
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 3 Green Cardamom
- 1/2 tsp Kasoori methi
- 3 Black Peppercorns
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 3 Cloves
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 1 1/2 tsp Kasoori Methi
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 1 tbsp Poppy Seeds
- Take chicken breast, cut in thin strips, wash well and pat dry using paper towel or napkin.
- Take red chilli powder, garam masala, coriander powder, cumin powder, salt, kasoori methi, add some lemon juice, yogurt, in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Add chicken pieces, mix well with marinade, cover and keep for 1 hour.
- After one hour transfer marinated chicken in greased baking tray, drizzle some oil over it and bake for 15 to 20 minutes on 400 degree fahrenheit.
- Heat up oil a tbsp oil, add cumin seeds, whole garam spices, coriander seeds and cook till nice aroma starts to come from spices and they change its color.
- Add fenel seeds, mix and cook for a minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes, sprinkle some salt, mix, cover and cook for 5 to 7 mts on medium heat.
- Soak poppy seeds in hot water for 1 hour.
- First add soaked poppy seeds in grinder and grind well.
- Now add tomato masala and grind well to make a very smooth puree.
- Heat up 3 tbsp butter, add ground masala paste, red chilli powder and cook till oil starts to separate from spices.
- Add leftover juice from baked chicken and some extra water to make gravy kind consistency.
- Add baked chicken pieces, kasooriÂ methi, cover and cook for 5 mts on medium heat.
- Garnish with fresh cream!
- If oven is not available, saute chicken pieces on skillet with enough oil.
- Substitute poppy seeds by using 3 to 4 cashew nuts.
Leave Your Comment And Suggestion Here
Namrata Naik :
10 January 2017
Thanks for this wonderful recipe Madhura. I tried it and the dish was super yummy. Everyone at home enjoyed it. I often follow your recipes, so keep posting
Larissa Darville :
30 August 2016
Hello Madhura, I absolutely love your butter chicken recipe! But I noticed today an error in the written recipe compared to the video. In the written recipe, the ginger-garlic paste is missing in the final steps. So if I am not watching the video while making it, I forget about the g-g paste. Also, could you re-record a voice-over for this recipe with a microphone, it's very hard to hear your instructions, please? Thanks very much for posting this recipe, my husband requests it at least once every two weeks. It's absolutely amazingly tasty! We don't like going to our local Indian restaurant anymore, because this is SO MUCH BETTER! At some point I will become more adventurous and try your other recipes, but for now this one is ???? winner, winner chicken???? dinner!!
8 February 2014
Could you please specify in writing what the whole garam spices are. Thanks
6 January 2014
Dear Madhura First of all many thanks for this recipe and demonstrating step by step to achieve the pukka taste. Frankly I followed your method to the T and got excellent result. It was my son's birthday and everyone's mouth was watering. Best wishes for the New Year 2014
17 November 2013
HI Madhura, Thanks for sharing this recipe. I had a question, in the list of ingredients you have mentioned 1 tbsp Ginge Garlic paste. However in the recipe its not mentioned anywhere. Should it be used while preparing gravy or masala? Thanks PK
7 November 2013
thank u soo much,i tried it n it came out really well....
26 September 2013
Hi madhura I want to know that can we use the same recipe for normal chicken(pieces having bones ) & can we cook in cooker except oven. please share tambada rassa & pandhara rassa recipes
13 September 2013
Hi Madhura, I made your recipe for butter chicken, and it was awesome. Thank you for not compromising on the flavors. It was rich and hearty... And it was very much enjoyed by all.
8 July 2013
Hi....please re share chicken masala recipe....it turned out to be awesome