Gujarati dal is a healthy dish prepared from Tuvar dal and many spices. It has a typical sweet and sour taste. It is cooked daily in Gujarati households.
Preparation time : 15 mts
Cooking time : 40 mts
Serves : 3 to 4 people
- 1 cup Toor Dal
- 1 Tomato chopped
- 2 Green Chillies finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Ginger grated
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- Turmeric powder
- Amsul / Kokum
- 1 tbsp Jaggery / Brown Sugar
- 2 dried Red Chillies
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 2 Cloves
- Cumin Seeds
- 2 Black Peppercorns
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- Coriander Leaves for garnishing
- Rinse toor dal in water and soak for 30 mts.
- Add toor dal in pressure cooker with 1 1/2 cup water and pressure cook until 3 to 4 whistles.
- After dal is cooked, whisk it very well.
- Now turn the heat on, add some more water to adjust the consistency of dal.
- To dal add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, grated ginger, coriander powder, garam masala, tomato, green chillies and bring it to boil over medium heat for 10 mts.
- After 10 mts add jaggery, kokum, salt and continue to cook for 10 more mts.
- For tempering heat up another pan on the side.
- To that add tbsp each ghee as well as oil. Let that heat up.
- After that hot add cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves, black peppercorn, hing, dried red chillies. Let all the spices sizzle up.
- Pour this tempering over the dal.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves!