Dal fry is a popular Indian dal or lentil recipe. This is very easy and basic recipe. It is prepared using tur or tuval dal. But you also can use moong or masoor dal for this recipe. You can make this dal thcik or medium consistency according to your taste. Let’s learn to make dal fry and dal fry tadka.
- 1 cup Tur dal
- 2 cups Water
- 1/4 tdp Turmeric powder
- A pinch of Hing / Asafoetida
- 3 tsp Butter
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 cup Finely chopped Onion
- 2 medium size finely chopped Tomatoes
- 2 Green chilies
- 1 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala (Kichen king masala)
- Curry leaves
- 2 tsp Garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Kasuri methi (optional)
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 3~4 Minced Garlic cloves
- 3~4 Diced Red chilies
- Take dal in a bowl and wash it really good 2-3 times with water.
- Transfer the washed dal in cooker and add water.
- Add turmeric powder, hing and mix well.
- Close the lid and cook on medium heat until 4 whistles.
- Open the lid and beat the dal really good with beater. Keep it aside.
- Heat up butter in a pan. You can use ghee or oil instead of butter.
- When butter is a little hot, add mustard seeds and let them pop up.
- Add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add finely chopped onion and fry until it turns golden.
- Add finely chopped tomato, green chilies, coriander powder, red chili powder, garam masala (kichen king masala) and garlic paste.
- Mix everything well together.
- Cover and cook until tomatoes become soft.
- Open the lid and mix the masala.
- Add the cooked dal and water to adjust the consistency. Mix well.
- Add salt to taste and kasuri methi. Mix well.
- Boil for about 5-7 minutes. Dal fry is already.
- For making dal tadka, heat up ghee in a tadka pan. You can use oil instead of ghee.
- Add minced garlic and let it turn little golden.
- Add fried red chilies and fry it.
- Add this tadka on dal and mix well.
- Dal fry tadka is also already.
- This goes well with jeeraa rice.