Anarase is traditional Maharashatrian recipe prepared in diwali. These are prepared using rice, jaggery and poppy seeds. These taste just awesome. This pastry like snack is prepared in Uttar Pradesh also during festive occasions. Preparing dough for anarase is a tedious process. But end result is worth trying. Let’s prepare anarase.
- 1 cup Rice (Broken Basamati)
- 2 cups Water
- 1/2 cup grated Jaggery
- Oil for frying
- Take rice in a bowl. Wash it well 3-4 times. Add water. Soak the rice for 3 days.
- Wash the rice well and change the water daily. After 3 days the rice may smell bad.
- Drain all the water from rice.
- Spread clean and dry cloth over news papers. Spread the soaked rice over the cloth and let it dry completely.
- Rice will be dry within 2-3 hours. Due to news paper water gets absorbed quickly and it helps in drying the rice quickly.
- You can use hair dryer to dry the rice faster.
- Put the rice in blender jar and grind it. Sieve the flour through strainer.
- Blend the flour again that remains behind on the strainer. Add jaggery.
- Jaggery is of 2 types. Chikkicha gudh also known as dark jaggery out of India as it is darker in color.
- And another is regular jaggery also known as light jaggery.
- For this recipe use regular jaggery. Mix jaggery well with rice flour.
- Add this mixture into a blender pot and blend it once more. You can use the food processor for this purpose.
- Take the mixture in a mixing bowl. Cover and give it a standing time of 2 hours so that rice and jaggery will release the moisture and we can prepare nice dough out of it.
- After 2 hours either you can grind it in a mortar or blend it once more in a blender jar.
- If the mixture is dry, you can add 2-3 tsp milk to it and make dough. Don’t add too much water.
- Pour the dough into a plastic bowl. Knead it and make thick dough.
- Cover and keep overnight. Next day the dough is nicely fermented.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Take a small ball out of the dough. Grease bit oil to hand and roll it into a disk with hands only.
- Add poppy seeds on the plate and put anarasa over poppy seeds and roll out a bit again.
- Don’t keep all the anarase ready. When you fry one anarasa, roll out another one.
- While frying, oil should not be too hot. Keep the heat on medium or a bit less.
- While dropping anarasa in hot oil, make sure that the side having poppy seeds faces up.
- Sprinkle a little oil over it continuously and fry on low heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Fry until they turn nice brown and have a net.
- Remove from oil. Put it on tissue paper.
Leave Your Comment And Suggestion Here
22 February 2017