Olya haladiche lonache is an authentic, traditional Maharashtrian recipe. This is a winter special recipe as oli halad or fresh turmeric in available in winter. Turmeric has medicinal properties. So we Indians regularly use it in our daily diet. This is another way to have turmeric. This pickle tastes just awesome. Try olya haladiche lonache at home and write to me. You also can like, share and subscribe.
- 1 cup Sliced Oli halad / Fresh turmeric
- 1/2 cup Slices Ginger
- 1/2 cup Green chili chopped
- 1/2 cup Lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Methi / Fenugreek seeds
- Mustard oil
- Wash oli halad and peel it with the help of a knife. You can grate it if you want. You also can make round slices.
- Cut it into fine slices or juliennes and keep aside.
- Peel the ginger and cut it into slices or juliennes and keep it aside.
- Chop green chili into small pieces.
- In a bowl take oli halad.
- Add ginger and green chili. Mix well.
- Add salt, lemon juice and mix well. Keep it aside.
- Heat up a pan and add mustard seeds.
- Dry roast these a little until these begin to pop up.
- Turn off the gas and add methi seeds.
- Heat up the methi seeds for about a minute and transfer the mixture into a blender jar.
- Blend it into coarse powder. Do not make fine powder.
- Pickle masala is already.
- Heat up oil in a pan. When oil is enough hot, turn off the gas and let it cool down completely.
- Add the pickle masala into the mixture according to your taste and mix well.
- Add the oil and mix well.
- Olya haladiche lonache is already.
- Sterilize a glass bottle in hot water and dry it completely.
- Fill the pickle it the glass bottle and you can keep this bottle under the sun for about 2 days.
- The pickle will be seasoned in about 8 days.
- Try to use fresh ingredients like ginger, green chili. Due to fresh ingredients the pickle lasts longer.
- How to recognize if the green chili is fresh? Check if the chili is firm and the seeds are white while buying. It means that the green chili is fresh.
- You can use gloves while cutting and peeling oli halad. Or you can rub lot of oil. Or else your hands will turn yellow.
- Do not roast methi seeds longer or else these will release bitter taste. Heat of the pan is enough for the methi seeds to roast.
- You can use peanut oil or any other oil instead of mustard oil.
- We heat and cool the oil and then add it to pickle. The reason behind it is to remove bacterias if any and the flavour of mustard oil enhances on heating.