Samosa is India's popular snack that finds a place in almost every bakery or chaat shop.Savory comfort food at its best, a crisp exterior filled with a potato and peas stuffing.
For Samosa Pastry or Crust :
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Cup Semolina or Soji
- Salt to Taste
- 1/4 tsp Carom Seeds
- Warm Oil 3 tsp
- 2 potatoes boiled
- 1/4 cup Green Peas
- 1 Onion Finely Chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Corriandar powder
- 1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 10)3 to 4 Curry Leaves
- 11)1 tsp Lime Juice
- 12) Coriander Leaves
To prepare Pastry or Crust
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. Make a well in between and pour warm oil. Mix mixture by hand until it turns crumbly like bread crumbs.
- Keep on adding small amount of water to form a dough. Samosa dough should be stiff.
- Cover with the food wrap and let it rest for 30 mts.
For Filling or stuffing :
- Heat 3 tsp oil. Add cumin seeds, curry leaves and onions. Saute the onions till it gets light brown colour.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala and saute till oil starts loosing out from the spices.
- Add potatoes, salt, lime juice and salt. Mix all this well. Stuffing is ready now.
To make Samosa
- Rub oil between the palms of your hand and again knead the dough for two mts. Make one small ball from the dough. Roll ball with the rolling pin into a slightly thin puri, slightly elongated in shape. Take a knife and divide the rolled puri into two by cutting through the center.
- Now take a semi-circle piece of the roti, and make a fold in the shape of a triangle as shown in the image. Seal along the fold. Now place this cone between your thumb and index finger and place a ball of the stuffing inside. Wet your finger and run it along the edges of the dough with water and seal to enclose the stuffing.
- Press the ends firmly so that the filling does not come out during the deep frying process. Prepare with the rest of the dough in the same manner.
- Heat enough oil in a pan to deep fry the samosas. Heat the oil till hot but not piping hot. Reduce flame to low medium and drop 2-3 samosas into the oil slowly and deep fry them till golden brown, turning them carefully to the other side so that it cooks on all sides. Deep fry on low to medium heat and not piping hot oil.
- Remove onto absorbent paper and serve warm with chutney or sauce.